Thursday, June 11, 2009

Music is Food for the Soul


First and foremost let me start off by saying that I was not gifted with any special musical abilities. I have no idea how to play any instruments other than air guitar, which I rock at. If you laid sheet music in front of me it would be the equivalent of asking me to interpret heiroglyphics, it just ain't gonna' happen. I took the mandatory music classes and fizzled my way through them somehow but playing an instrument just never clicked with me. Most of my friends were "band" kids. I'm now married to a former tuba player. I can only think of two of my friends who are just as musically illiterate as myself and I have alotta friends.
It's not like I'm not drawn to music.
Au contrar.
I'm quite the music fanatic. I can appreciate the musical stylings of just about any genre. I listen to music for about 4 hours on any given day. When I'm in the car, the stereo is on. When I'm on my computer I have music playing (right now I'm listening to an indie artist known as Santigold).
When I'm in the shower I bring my MP3 player docking station in and listen while I soap up. You get it. I realllllllly love music.
Music enables us to express ourselves even if we aren't strumming the guitar or belting out mind melting vocals. A song can unlock a memory, lyrics can drive home a thought we've been tossing around for days, a rhythm can bring us out of a funk thats had us hiding out in our houses for days.
Music feeds our souls. It helps us capture a moment, a mood, a lifetime. Can you imagine a sporting event without ACDC's "Thunderstruck"? A wedding without Frank Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight"? A mosh pit without the Dropkick Murphy's "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye"?
An 80's dance party without Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me?" It just would not be the same.
It's 1:30 a.m.
What else would I be doing if not listening to music at nearly 2 .m.? Would I be half as inspired if Dave Mathhews Band was not crooning "Love of my Life" to me at this very moment? I think not.

As I age my vision can fade. My sense of taste can dull. My sense of smell is already kaput.
Just spare my ears Father Time. Without them, I do not think I could bare this world.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff...I played the drums for many years but somewhere along the way, I lost my inspiration to play, even though I love music now maybe more than ever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I listen to music that often but I do enjoy getting carried away. I play the piano and the violin, have done since age 9.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Piercing Critical Insights? Have a million bucks you wanna' pass my way? This is where you let me know all that.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin