Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Really Just This Damned Nosey


What a week.
So far I've had to sit at the hospital with a very ill client that I have had the pleasure of assisting for the last 3 years. She has downs syndrome and for those of you familiar with downs, you know that generally people with that diagnosis are always happy, hungry and horny (kind of like my husband on Thanksgiving day I suppose...hmm...I wonder). It's been really hard to watch someone usually so vital fight for her life for reasons I can't (damn you HIPPA!) discuss but am infuriated over. That's not the reason I'm posting, but I thought I would just sort of set the tone for what this post is going to be like. So no references to farting (although I can say the lady in the bed next to my clients seems to be pooping on herself every 5 seconds with a smell so foul you would think you were in a bathroom at a worlds hottest chili convention) , music or any other stuff that I typically like to drone on about.
This is a "I'm sitting in the hospital taking a break from studying" kind of post.

I'm sitting here in the waiting room, since my company wants each client to have an employee with them to advocate if need be while they are in the hospital, watching a plethora of people dealing with sickness, grief, frustration and despair. No I'm not in Disneyland, I'm at UK.
Needless to say, I don't like hospitals (anyone who does is crazzzzzzzy), but I can't help but get wrapped up in the lives of the people that mill in and out during the course of the 8 hours I'm here (even though I really should studying for the 2 gynormous midterms I have tomorrow morning).
So many sad stories...and astounding one's. It's kind of watching an episode of House without the quirky wise cracking doctor (that is my make believe boyfriend much like Jules make believe boyfriend on the Daily Show). So far I've heard the story of a man who has recovered from pneumonia only to be told he has to have open heart surgery (that he will likely not survive) because of the extreme amount of blockage they found.
I've heard the story of a lady who came here with a knee fracture only to be told that she has a blood clot blocking the entire left side of her heart and fluid gathering in her lungs.
Does anyone who goes to the hospital ever get treated for what they came for? I liken it to taking your car to a garage to explore why you have difficulty closing the trunk only to be told by the mechanic that your engine is crapped out and it'll have to replaced. That's just so...life.
So I sit here, vigilant, and perhaps more nosey than I should be. The others in the waiting room are now watching some sort of old regular baptist church program complete with banjo's and voices that can't quite carry a tune. Time to check on my client and her family.
Send positive energy her way if you have any to spare. She's my lil buddy and I don't know if I could stick with this job if she doesn't make it.







----------------
Now playing: Brandi Carlile - Before It Breaks
via FoxyTunes

9 comments:

  1. Uggghhhh... that's not a fun environment to sit around in... but good thoughts to your patient...hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I hope your client gets better.

    I can't stand hospitals...I had an injury after delivering my second child and had to stay in the hospital for a whole week.
    I felt like my skin smelled like hospital smell for months afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another reason for Obama to have his healthcare scheme pushed through.

    Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hospitals are no fun to spend lots of time in. Happy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracias everyone! She actually seems to be doing better so far today (knock on wood).
    I'll be here with her the rest of the week so I'm going to be getting caught up on everyone's blogs and watching movies that I wouldn't otherwise have time to watch.
    Really, thanks again for the good vibrations (come on, come on, feel it, feel it!)I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hospitals are a place of pain, yes, but sometimes it can be a place of hope, a place where hundreds of new babies are born every day, a place where people get a new lease on life. I do hope your friend is on the receiving end of the 'place of hope and good news'. Sending you plenty of good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh, hospitals can be scary places. I hope all goes well with your buddy.

    PS. Good vibrations? Were you lusting over Marky Mark back in the days :)
    I laugh everytime I see Mark Wahlberg act all serious and stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Piercing Critical Insights? Have a million bucks you wanna' pass my way? This is where you let me know all that.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin